Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"The Worst"

So, last week my son Donovan got a cold and had a runny nose and small cough. Well, apparently over the course of the weekend, it progressed and he now has a really bad ear infection to go with the running nose and cough. He woke up in the night crying and unable to sleep. I brought him into bed with us, and throughout the entire night, he kept dozing off to sleep for a few minutes and then waking up crying. Josiah ended up moving to the couch so he could get some sleep as he had training in Salina at 8 the next morning. Anyway, it was quite the exhausting night for us both. The feeling of helplessness as I looked at my exhausted, lethargic son was enough to get me crying... again (those of you that were around me Sunday know what that means). There is nothing worse than looking into your child's tired, pain-filled eyes and knowing that you are helpless to help him. There is nothing I can physically do to ease his pain and make it all better. It is a wretched feeling. Of course, the mother in me is frustrated and heart-broken that I can't DO anything to fix it. I hug him, kiss his forehead, snuggle him, pray for him, and tell him I would make it all better if I could, all the while still feeling helpless. I know that he will get better and back to his normal self in a few days, but oh the pain in between!
It makes me wonder if God ever feels like that with us-helpless. I know He's God and He already knows how everything will turn outand such... But I still wonder if there are times that He feels helpless when He sees the situation in which we've put ourselves, sees us floundering and struggling for a way out, and just waiting for us to look to Him again for help, but all the while still feeling a small measure of helplessness that He can't just figure it out for us. I know that He doesn't and won't FORCE us to look to Him, and that's where the wondering comes in, I suppose. Does He feel helpless during those times that we DON'T, in fact, look to Him? Maybe helpless isn't the correct word for what He feels... Who knows? Just random wonderings...

Jesus, please heal my young son and bring quick relief to his pain. Please, comfort his little body and give us wisdom as his parents to know how to help in what ways we can. Thank You for Your faithfulness.

2 comments: