Tuesday, September 15, 2009

'Ah, the Joys of Motherhood"

To those of you who have seen my son, Donovan, you know just by looking at him that he likes to eat. He enjoys eating pretty much anything in sight, so I endeavor to keep everything in our pantry so it's out of sight and out of mind, which works only mostly. Oh well. What're you gonna do, right? Anyway, so during our last visit to Pittsburg, we discovered (thanks to Grammy) just how much he likes bananas. So, of course, when we got home, I went and bought him some bananas for breakfast and such. Little did I know just how quickly that bunch of bananas would be devoured. This kid LOVES bananas!!!! This morning when he woke up, I did our usual routine of going in to get him (good step #1), throwing his blankets and pillow BACK into his bed, changing his diaper, and so forth until we reached the time he'd been waiting for all morning... It was time to eat. I put him up in his highchair and got him some juice and went to go get him a banana and some cereal. As I walked into the living room with the banana, his big, brown eyes opened wide and his mouth formed an "O" and he started clapping! Who claps for bananas?!?!? As a banana-disliker (nice word, I know, but it's more polite than saying a banana-hater), I certainly don't clap for bananas. But my son does. Later today, when he was hungry for a snack, he, of course, wanted a banana, so I was teaching him to say "buh-nan-uh, please". He has the "please" part down, but getting him to say "banana" was turning out to be quite the feat when all he wanted to do was EAT the banana and not SAY banana. Finally though, as I was exaggerating the pronunciation of "banana" we would get all the way through the "buh" and pause until he repeated it, "nan" part, again pausing until he repeated it, and then "uh" part, again with the pause, until he had repeated the entire word with the pauses among syllables until it was time to say the entire word with no pauses- "banana." But, he'd get so excited and ahead of himself that he would just laugh at MY saying the word "banana" and say "huh, please?" Oh well, I guess. Maybe later... Soon after he had devoured yet another banana, he wanted some crackers, but I was in the kitchen rinsing dishes and didn't hear about what he was saying please. Well, apparently he'd been repeating himself for a while saying "please" because he turned it into a song. So, he'd sing," Crackeeeeerrrrrrsssssss, pleeeeeeeeaaaaasssseeeee, PLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE." And then he'd repeat the word "please" several times after and then resume his song. To see his little face singing his song and then repeating "please" a zillion times... What to do with such cuteness.

I will post pictures of him with a yellow banana soon. I am still trying to figure this things out...

2 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I didn't realize you were keeping a blog. Now that I know I will bookmark it. I love reading updates about Donovon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's been a recent devolopment. I could never seem to stay faithful about journaling, but I am at the computer several times a day, so I decided to give blogging a whirl. :) It's quite the compilation of miscellaneous ideas and happenings. Hope you enjoy it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete